In the USA, the freezing cold caused nearly 70 people to die. In many states, especially Texas, people were deprived of electricity and basic needs, and the cases of hypothermia increased. The number of deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning and hypothermia is increasing across the country.
It was reported that an 11-year-old boy died in his bed due to a sudden drop in body temperature in Texas, where power cuts were experienced and adequate heating was not provided.
At least 77 cases of hypothermia were recorded nationwide.
The New York Times wrote that a 75-year-old named Carrol Anderson, who survived with an oxygen cylinder, died in Texas due to a power outage.
Generators operated as a result of interruptions triggered carbon monoxide poisoning. In Texas, authorities asked the public to boil tap water before consuming it due to power outages affecting water treatment centers.