11. You have bought a new laptop with 2nd Generation Intel Tiger Lake processor, but when you try to install Windows 10 or Windows 11, you get the “No driver found” error. First, let’s take a look at the cause of this problem: Intel has introduced the new Intel Volume Management Device technology, which, together with Tiger Lake processors, optimizes the data processing efficiency and power consumption of storage devices. However, due to the miscommunication between the company and Microsoft, the driver for this new feature is not yet included in Windows 10 and 11. That’s why you need to install the driver in question when installing Windows.
In addition to the solution steps in our guide, Intel also has an official guide (in English). In this article, we explain BIOS setup, which is the easy method in the first place, and the comprehensive driver guide in the second stage. So let’s start!
Note: First of all, let’s state that this problem only occurs on systems with 11th Generation Tiger Lake processors. If you’re having trouble with a desktop system, make sure you’ve installed UEFI. NVMe drives will not appear in BIOS/Legacy setups, especially if you have an NVMe drive. You have to install UEFI Windows on NVMe systems.
If the first two characters of your processor’s model name are 11, you have an 11th Gen Intel processor.
In this case, you will get a no driver found error on the Windows setup screen. Let’s solve the problem by turning off the VMD in the BIOS step by step:
- When booting PC F2
Pressto enter the BIOS.
- Click here to learn the BIOS keys.
- After booting your BIOS screen F7
Press. Alternatively, as you can see on the screen Advanced Mode
- Click on Advanced again in the Advanced Mode section. Subsequently VMD setup menu
Clickto continue e.
- If there is no VMD option, please proceed to the second method manual setup step to fix the problem!
- Enable VMD controller
Select. Then from the options Disabled
Selectand close it.
- Click OK to disable Intel Volume Management Device (VMD) technology on the warning screen that appears.
- Save and log out. To do this, press the F10 key on your keyboard. According to the warning on the screen, “OK or Save & Exit can be written. Continue by pressing ”.
After this step, you will not get the error “No drivers found” in Windows 10 or 11 installation.
Disabling the VMD setting is not necessary and we do not recommend it. Why give up when you can get better performance and power consumption from your storage? With this method, you can both use the new technology and get rid of the no driver found problem. Two things you need for this Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST) driver and a USB stick.
Download Intel RST Driver
- Go to Intel’s RST 18.0 driver download page. Here you will find three different packages:
- SetupRST. exe: Full Windows installer that installs the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, removes legacy applications, and provides an option to install the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management application.
- F6flpy-x64(Intel VMD). zip: New driver package targeting VMD-enabled platforms only. Driver file iaStorVD. is sys.
- F6flpy-x64(Non-Intel VMD). zip: This driver package targets platforms that do not have VMD enabled or do not support VMD. Driver file iaStorAC. is sys.
- The package we need here is F6flpy-x64 (Intel® VMD). zip file.
- Download the compressed ZIP file and extract it to the folder.
- Copy the folder to a USB stick.
- Keep the USB stick aside for use during the operating system installation process.
- If you have written to the USB stick for the Windows 10 installation, you can put the folder into the same USB stick.
- It is useful to make sure that the following files are in the folder.
Install Rapid Storage Technology Driver
- Connect the Windows 10 installation media and the USB flash drive containing the VMD driver to the computer to be installed.
- If you used a DVD to install Windows 10, please insert the DVD and USB flash drive consisting of the above files together into the computer to be installed.
- Restart the Windows 10 installation process; Here you can take a look at our article on how to prepare the installation media.
- Classic Windows loading screen will appear. No drivers found. Click Install driver for storage driver warning will appear. As in the image below S install driver continue with option e.
- Click Browse on the warning screen and select the USB stick with the VMD (Intel RST) driver.
- If everything is correct, you will see Intel RST VMD Controller 9A08 (TGL) driver option should appear. Select this and then Next to install the driver.
- After the installation is finished, your disk drives will appear without any problems.
- If the drive(s) is still not listed, your SSD/HDD may have a physical failure or not be properly connected. We suggest you check and try again.
You may still want more detailed information about your storage devices after installing Windows, although not required. SetupRST for this. You can install Intel RST with the exe file. It should also be noted that the Intel RST VMD driver should not be deleted after installation.