341
128 shares, 341 points
  • In a Reddit post, Ethereum co-founder and developer Vitalik Buterin advocated a multi-chain future, but expressed his skepticism about cross-chain bridges.
  • Buterin suggested that bridged assets are more susceptible to vulnerabilities.
  • Concluded that holding custody of a local Blockchain assets on the same local Blockchain is safer than storing them on a non-native Blockchain.

Ethereum co-founder and developer Vitalik Buterin tweeted a link to a Reddit post where he discussed his belief in a multi-chain future today. But he voiced his doubts about cross-chain ecosystems. As Kriptokoin.com , we have compiled the details for you, let’s examine the subject together…

Ethereum co-founder discussed security vulnerabilities in cryptocurrencies!

Buterin cited in his argument “the fundamental security limits of bridges” as the main reason for his disapproval of a cross-chain environment. In his statement, Buterin stated that he did not agree with the mentality that all security mechanisms fail if a blockchain suffers a 51% attack. The purpose of the 51% attack is to manipulate the integrity of unregistered transactions in a Blockchain by controlling more than 50% of the network’s mining hash rate or computing power.

Buterin claimed that in the event of a 51% attack, the attacker/attackers would not be able to offer a block that takes one’s ETH because such a block would violate the consensus rules and would therefore be rejected by the network. In other words, even if 99% of the hash power is intended to illegally take another wallet’s ETH, the nodes will follow the remaining 1% of the chain as it is the only set of blocks that follow the protocol rules. Thus, Buterin claimed that “honest” blocks would preserve the coherence of the project.

Vitalik Buterin: The problem arises in this situation…

Buterin claims that the problem occurs when the user connects assets from local Blockchains to a non-native Blockchain. If the native Blockchain suffers a 51% attack that reverts the bridge transaction, these assets can be left “orphaned” as soon as the same transaction is confirmed on the non-native (target) Blockchain. Further, Buterin went on to explain that the same principle applies to any Tier 2 built on the Ethereum main chain. In this regard, he wrote:

if Ethereum is 51% hacked and bounces back, Arbitrum and Optimism will also return and therefore the “cross-rollup” practices that hold the case in Arbitrum and Optimism remain consistent even if Ethereum is 51% attacked guaranteed. And if Ethereum is not 51% attacked, there is no way to attack 51% Arbitrum and Optimism separately.

Ethereum co-founder: This could be an attack on crypto assets!

The expert goes on to say that using interrelated dApps across different chains is where we can witness a “contagion effect” where a 51% attack can endanger the entire ecosystem. To further justify this idea, Vitalik explains that he favors sovereignty regions, where several native Layer 1 applications interact closely with each other rather than interact with other Blockchain environments. Buterin concluded by saying that he did not expect these issues to appear immediately, but that as the volume of cryptocurrency held on bridges increases, so will the incentive to attack them.


Like it? Share with your friends!

341
128 shares, 341 points

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
368
hate
confused confused
1104
confused
fail fail
736
fail
fun fun
613
fun
geeky geeky
490
geeky
love love
122
love
lol lol
245
lol
omg omg
1104
omg
win win
736
win
Michael Lewis

Emperor

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Choose A Format
Personality quiz
Series of questions that intends to reveal something about the personality
Trivia quiz
Series of questions with right and wrong answers that intends to check knowledge
Poll
Voting to make decisions or determine opinions
Story
Formatted Text with Embeds and Visuals
List
The Classic Internet Listicles
Countdown
The Classic Internet Countdowns
Open List
Submit your own item and vote up for the best submission
Ranked List
Upvote or downvote to decide the best list item
Meme
Upload your own images to make custom memes
Video
Youtube, Vimeo or Vine Embeds
Audio
Soundcloud or Mixcloud Embeds
Image
Photo or GIF
Gif
GIF format